H.R. 6, the Dream and Promise Act of 2019 allows Dreamers, including those who are part of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, as well as individuals with Temporary Protected Status (TPS) and Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) status, to contribute fully in the country they love and know to be their home by providing a pathway to citizenship.
This is a critical time to ensure that members of the U.S. House of Representatives hear your voice and understand the importance of moving this legislation toward enactment.
Dear [YOUR U.S. HOUSE MEMBER],
I am writing today to express my support for H.R. 6, the Dream and Promise Act of 2019. As a STUDENT at [SCHOOL NAME], I have had the opportunity to come to know a number of Dreamers on our campus. These students make significant contributions to our campus community and beyond. They are academically talented; respond to the needs of our local community as volunteers; and enhance the life of our school through their co-curricular talents and skills. Moreover, they aspire to live out our school’s mission of service to others and work for the common good — and they hope to continue doing so long after graduation. But while the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), Deferred Enforced Departure (DED), and Temporary Protected Status (TPS) programs are protecting them now, their ability to continue living out the American Dream requires action from Congress.
This comprehensive legislation will make a difference in the lives of thousands of young people who know and love the United States as their home and seek to contribute to our nation. Voting for this legislation is the right thing to do for these individuals and for the common good of our country.
[CITY, STATE ZIP]
IMPORTANT: Once you submit your contact information you will then need to edit the text to delineate what university attend.
STATEMENTS & LETTERS:
- Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities – DACA Resource Page
- American Dream and Promise Act of 2019 Summary (Congresswomen Lucille Roybal-Allard)
- American Dream and Promise Act of 2019 Summary (Justice for Immigrants Campaign, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops)
IN THE NEWS:
- Bishop urges Congress to pass protections for Dreamers, TPS holders (Catholic News Service)
- House Democrats propose offering 2 million immigrants the chance to apply for U.S. citizenship (Washington Post)