TAKE ACTION: Oppose Plans to Halt U.S. Resettlement of Refugees
The Ignatian Solidarity Network joins Jesuit Refugee Service USA in strongly opposing the Trump administration’s executive order to halt the resettlement of refugees to the United States, to reduce the number of refugees admitted annually, and to ban resettlement of certain nationalities.
Please join us in sending a message to the President that you support our tradition of providing life-saving refuge to the most vulnerable displaced people, in accordance with our most cherished American values.
PLEASE MAKE YOUR VIEWS KNOWN IMMEDIATELY:
Tweet to @realDonaldTrump & @POTUS sample are below. (Please feel free to personalize)
- @realDonaldTrump & @POTUS Don’t stop welcoming #refugees. Resettlement demonstrates the best of our values #RefugeesWelcome
- @realDonaldTrump & @POTUS Keep America welcoming. #Refugee resettlement is a proud American legacy w/ bipartisan support #RefugeesWelcome
- @realDonaldTrump & @POTUS People of faith OPPOSE a religious litmus test for #refugees bit.ly/FaithLeaders4ALLRefugees #RefugeesWelcome
- @realDonaldTrump & @POTUS 2,000+ faith leaders oppose any policy keeping Muslim #refugees from seeking safety: bit.ly/FaithLeaders4ALLRefugees
- @realDonaldTrump & @POTUS Christians oppose policies that would deny Muslims refuge and give preference to Christians bit.ly/FaithLeaders4ALLRefugees
Send the White House a Facebook message at Facebook.com/WhiteHouse AND submit an electronic message at whitehouse.gov/contact
Here are some sample messages you might consider using:
- President Trump, as people of faith, we are STRONGLY opposed to policies that deny access to refugees based on their religion or nationality. Please reject such ideas, as a religious litmus test for safety is an affront to religious liberty.
- As Catholics who work to welcome refugees every day, we oppose any plan to reduce refugee admissions and to prevent Muslim refugees from being resettled in the United States. We urge you to allow the U.S. refugee program to continue to resettle refugees who need our protection regardless of where they come from or how they pray. Please exercise your leadership to ensure that the U.S. remains a beacon of hope for all those who are persecuted who seek peace, safety and freedom. bit.ly/FaithLeaders4ALLRefugees
- The U.S. Refugee Resettlement program has been and should remain open to those of any religious tradition who face persecution on account of the reasons enumerated under U.S. law. We oppose any proposal that would prevent Syrian refugees or individuals who practice Islam and other faiths from accessing the U.S. refugee resettlement program. Proposals that would have the U.S. State Department disqualify refugees from protection based on their nationality or religion fly in the face of the very principles this nation was built upon, contradict the legacy of leadership our country has historically demonstrated, and dishonor our shared humanity. bit.ly/FaithLeaders4ALLRefugees