Discernment and Vocation

Discernment and Vocation

BY MILES TIEMEYER | June 27, 2022
Today’s Readings

As a senior at Xavier I wrote an opinion article for the student newspaper about why we shouldn’t ask seniors what they were doing next year, but rather how they are doing in their senior year. The irony is that I have spent almost two and a half years since then working with students, and myself, to answer the question: what is next? What is my vocation? 

The disciples should consider themselves lucky—they do not have to discern their vocation. Jesus tells them bluntly, “go and proclaim the kingdom of God.” As scary as the work of determining one’s vocation is, living it out is the real daunting work. Vocations often sound great in theory, but are much more difficult to live out. 

Discernment and Vocation

The disciples seem eager and willing to follow their vocation but they have things they feel they must do first. First, they must bury their dead and say goodbye to their families. These seem to be reasonable requests, but Jesus rejects them all. He tells his followers that they can not look at the past, but must look forward and proclaim the kingdom. Jesus wants his followers to be completely devoted to their mission. 

We are each called as unique individuals to our own vocation, with its own challenges and consolations. Whatever that vocation is, Jesus calls us to commit ourselves to that mission, to be “all-in.” There will always be alternate paths that present themselves. They may even be holy things, like burying our dead or saying goodbye to family. Through good discernment, we must stay committed to our vocation, our path to proclaiming the kingdom of God. 

When this discernment gets hard, and I feel desolation slipping in, I can find comfort in the words of Thomas Merton, “Discovering vocation does not mean scrambling toward some prize just beyond my reach but accepting the treasure of true self I already possess.”

2 replies
  1. Dr. Eileen Quinn Knight
    Dr. Eileen Quinn Knight says:

Miles, thanks to you and your team, we welcome your thoughts, reflections, prayers that you offer us as fellow disciples. Your words bring us a level of support for all we do during the day. It is so thoughtful that you spent time on thinking about your vocation. Each of us, unique individuals, offer to God under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, the uniqueness of our gifts to offer to all we meet. Our vocation as you indicated, needs pruning and refocusing in a way that makes our gifts clear to ourselves and others at different stages in our liives. The world is in need of mercy and love. We can give it and do so in a way that is special for each person we interact with. Your attention to social justice is one that is imperative to undertake. I recently had a discussion about equity with a woman I interact with. The conversation was difficult and will take much more time in conversation and example. Our wages that are meted out to others must reflect their needs in this world and we can aim to make sure this happens. Social justice for migrants must also be a focus in our lives, in our communities and in our world. There is hard work in being a person who transforms the world and is a missionary follower of Christ.

Reply
  2. Dr.Cajetan Coelho
    Dr.Cajetan Coelho says:

Fine thought, Miles. Thanks. Humanity is thirsting to receive the Good News of Resurrection, liberation, emancipation, justice, compassion, and mercy. Going out to proclaim the kingdom of God – can be a relentless mission. Faith in the Divine Power to find good Samaritans to carry out mundane emergencies is a special grace.

Reply