For 38 years, EVkids Summer Camp has provided a life-changing immersion in community life for low-income Boston youth. Our camp farmhouse and barn are on our nine-acre site in the Green Mountains of Vermont. Structured camp activities — from volleyball to archery, from theatre improv to chess — build character, community, and sportsmanship. Reaching the top of Vermont’s 4,000-foot peaks teaches challenging life lessons in perseverance and accomplishment.
EVkids Camp Counselors are key members of our summer camp staff. Our 2-to-1 camper to staff ratio ensures necessary support.The impact is transformative for both EVkids and counselors. Counselors live, work, and share communal space with campers. EVkids all come from low-income families in the Dorchester and Roxbury neighborhoods of Boston. Camp consists of counselor training and three separate camp sessions (LIT week, 5th and 6th grade week, and a two-week session for 7th and 8th graders).
At EVkids Camp we are committed to living in both the beauty of Vermont and the present moment. With this in mind, we adhere to a strict technology-free zone for campers and counselors alike. This means no cell phones, internet, or TV. Counselors commit to the full five weeks of camp. Compensation will be a $2,000 stipend. Apply online here. Application deadline is rolling.
Interviews are scheduled on a rolling basis once application is received.
Camp dates are June 22 – July 29.
EVkids Camp Counselors must be at least 18 years of age and have one year of post-secondary school completed. Recent college grads are welcome to apply! Counselor qualifications include:
● Ability to attend entirety of EVkids summer camp, including 1 pre-camp meeting and training in Spring/early summer 2019. (Skype okay for those living outside of Massachusetts).
● Demonstrated leadership abilities and responsibility.
● Demonstrated professional behavior supportive of leading and counseling others.
● Patience, enthusiasm, self control, mindfulness, and dependability.
● Able to work well with others and follow directions.
● Healthy understanding of professional and personal boundaries with campers and Camp staff team.
● CPR and First Aid Certified a plus
● Lifeguard certification a plus.
● Prior experience working with youth required (e.g. teaching, volunteering, coaching; camp counselor);
● Ability to physically participate in active camp life (hiking, swimming, sports, cooking, etc.)
● Experience working with low income youth and diverse populations strongly desired.
● Openness to and appreciation for mindfulness, spiritual reflection, and the Catholic faith with a deep respect for all faiths and spiritualities.
To apply for this job please visit docs.google.com.