Website Franciscan Mission Service
Where lay people work for peace, justice, and hope
About Franciscan Mission Service:
Franciscan Mission Service (FMS) is a nonprofit organization that provides Catholic women and men the opportunity to serve in solidarity with economically marginalized communities around the world. FMS trains, sends, and supports lay Catholics to serve others in a way that is respectful of cultural and religious differences.
About the Overseas Lay Mission Program:
With a Franciscan posture of humility, our missioners enter as guests in another community as they seek to know and learn from those they serve alongside. Missioners cultivate authentic cross-cultural relationships based on mutuality and compassionate presence. Our missioners share God’s love through supporting locally-run ministries as they live in intentional Christian communities rooted in simplicity, reflection, and solidarity. Missioners serve in education, community health, prison ministry, youth ministry, sustainable agriculture, pastoral ministry, and other ministries that are already run by the local community and will continue after missioners return home.
- A lay Catholic open to the Franciscan tradition who can commit to at least two years of service.
- Single, married, or divorced — generally 22 years old or older (without dependents).
- A resident of the U.S. or Canada who has legal work status in either the U.S. or Canada.
- Prior cross-cultural experience and/or a second language are valuable, though not required.
- FMS’ 3-month formation program is one of the most substantial trainings offered to lay missioners. This intensive time of study, prayer, and service gives missioners the preparation needed to serve abroad in meaningful and cross-culturally sensitive ways.
- Missioners live in an intentional Christian community with other Franciscan lay missioners and in close proximity to Franciscan friars and/or sisters. Specific arrangements vary from site to site.
- Each missioner receives a monthly stipend that covers food, housing, and transportation.
- Health and life insurance, as well as travel to and from their placement country, are also provided.
- A re-entry stipend will be provided to missioners who meet their support-raising goal.
Submit an application by visiting the following webpage: https://franciscanmissionservice.org/programs/long-term-overseas-mission/prospective-missioners/
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org