Assistant Principal (AP)
Independence Mission Schools (IMS) is a non-profit network of 15 independent Catholic schools providing a transformative education to children of all faiths in low-income neighborhoods across the city of Philadelphia.
The vision of the IMS network is that:
All IMS scholars will be:
- morally formed by our Catholic example
- academically prepared by our high-quality instruction and ready to serve the world
The AP works very closely with the school principal in the realization of this vision for the nearly 5,000 Pre-K through 8th grade students across the IMS network.
The ideal candidate will be committed to the development, achievement and well-being of the school’s students and the pursuit of academic excellence by those students. The AP will work closely with the Principal as part of the leadership team to establish the culture and direction for the school and will model Catholic values through interactions at all levels with faculty and staff, parents, board and central office members and other community partners.
The AP reports to the Principal of the school and has strong interaction with IMS leadership in the central office (the President and the Chief Academic Officer). The IMS model provides an infrastructure of support for school operations from the central office, including marketing and enrollment support, as well as finance, HR and legal operational guidance and functions for the school.
- Vision-Driven – Advance the Catholic identity of the school, being mindful of our welcome to children of all faiths, while ensuring a school culture of student achievement and high expectations grounded in moral development. Inspire teachers and staff to realize this vision throughout the school.
- Leadership & Management- Recruit and develop talented teachers and staff.
- Lead faculty development in their roles as Catholic instructional leaders driving student achievement.
- Direct the work of school staff to provide structure and support to the school operations.
- Establish a school culture built on student achievement, empowerment and collaboration and ensure a learning environment that is transformative, holistic and safe.
- Using data to establish performance goals for student academic results and faculty development and outcomes.
- Working with IMS leadership team to ensure core values are effectively communicated and upheld within the school community.
- Instructional Expertise – Build the capacity of school staff to deliver exceptional, high-quality instruction in service to student learning.
- Promulgate the effective use of data to support student achievement.
- Evaluate and address the requirements and needs of the school’s student population and identify resources to provide access for all students.
- School Advancement – Serve as an ambassador and advocate of the school’s mission, goals and achievements and oversee student recruitment, admissions and advancement.
- Support school development and community relations, including public relations and fundraising activities for the school as needed.
Educational and credential requirements
- An individual of strong Catholic faith who is possessed of a growth mindset, is mission-driven and is committed to serving children of all faiths in an urban environment.
- Current PA School Administrator’s License (K-12)
- A Master’s (or higher) degree in education or related fields
- Experience in teaching and/or coaching teaching staff to use Common Core Standard’s aligned curriculum materials, Highly Desirable.
- Demonstrated success as a teacher/school leader, backed by data-driven instruction, recommendations, and outcomes
- Possessed of deep capability to effectively build, develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external constituents including staff, teachers, parents, students, board members, and community stakeholders
- Strong leadership and staff development skills including an encouraging, motivating presence exhibited in team building, staff engagement and successful conflict resolution
- Ability to self-direct and prioritize among competing goals, exhibit flexibility and good judgment, and drive results in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Capable of representing the organization and its goals effectively in both oral and written communications to diverse audiences
To learn more about Independence Mission Schools, please visit: https://independencemissionschools.org/
Successful candidates must be able to clear all background check and clearances.
EOE: IMS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and celebrates staff diversity. We strive to be and build a diverse team that is representative of our students and the communities in which we serve. If you identify as an individual of color, we highly encourage you to apply!
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Independence Mission Schools provides a transformative Catholic education to children of all faiths in low-income neighborhoods across the city of Philadelphia.
One of the poorest urban centers in the nation, Philadelphia has 400,000 residents living in poverty. Among students attending an Independence Mission School, 36% live in poverty, nearly double the rate of children across the nation. That’s a staggering number.
Each day we open our doors to nearly 5,000 students, many carrying with them the challenges of life below the poverty line — food insecurity, home insecurity, violence and fundamental learning deficits. These circumstances could seem like insurmountable odds for these young learners. Yet they are resilient and come to us energized and full of promise.
Unlocking this potential starts with a culture of love that values and embraces each child. The promise of God’s love, shown by our faculty and staff, is at the very core of the Catholic education our schools deliver. This atmosphere sets our students, from Pre-K to Grade 8, on the path to a promising future confident in their own worth so they can be ready to succeed both in and out of the classroom.