The Jesuit Conference of Canada and the United States (JCCU) is a work of the Society of Jesus, a Roman Catholic order of priests and brothers commonly known as the Jesuits. The mission of the Society of Jesus is to work for reconciliation with God, humanity and the environment, and the JCCU supports that mission by serving as a collaborating body of the provincial superiors of Canada and the USA.
The JCCU’s Office of Communications and Vocation Promotion coordinates a comprehensive communications program that promotes the mission of the Society of Jesus in Canada and the United States and throughout the world, overseeing website, social media, media relations and public relations messaging.
The Communications Associate for Justice and Ecology will work closely with the JCCU’s Office of Justice and Ecology (OJE) to coordinate OJE’s communications efforts both within the Jesuit network and for the broader public. (OJE advocates, networks and educates for social and environmental justice, placing the voices of marginalized communities at the center of our work. Our current public policy priorities are climate change, criminal justice, economic justice, human rights in Latin America and migration.)
Responsibilities of the associate will include:
- Producing web content covering social justice focus areas, legislative advocacy campaigns and Jesuit ministries engaged in social justice ministry throughout Canada and the USA, including written stories for jesuits.org and video, audio and photographic content for OJE’s social media platforms
- Highlighting the human stories at the heart of Jesuit advocacy for social and environmental justice, especially lifting up the voices of those on the margins
- Actively managing OJE’s social media platforms and website to promote ongoing education and advocacy on priority issues
- Providing written, photographic and social media coverage of OJE events
- Coordinating periodic communications with key stakeholders within the Jesuit network
- Setting up and distributing action alerts to engage the Jesuit network on key advocacy issues
- Deep familiarity with various social media platforms
- Strong writing skills; ability to communicate Catholic and Jesuit concepts and social justice priorities clearly to a broad, non-expert audience
- Passion for storytelling and Catholic Social Teaching
Collaborative, creative, flexible, self-starter
- Availability for some travel and occasional weekend work
- Familiarity with the process of legislative advocacy preferred
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud applications preferred
- Spanish proficiency preferred
This is a full-time position with benefits based at the JCCU’s headquarters in Washington, DC. To apply, please submit cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, August 16, 2019. Other forms of media samples (e.g. audio, video, photo, related social media posts) are also welcome.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com