Website John Carroll University
In collaboration with the team of campus ministers, the Assistant Director provides leadership in the religious/spiritual dimension of the university mission: critical examination and dialogue about religious questions, the acknowledgement and respect of religious differences, the service of faith and promotion of justice, and engagement in the life and work of the contemporary church. The Assistant Director/Coordinator of Liturgy is particularly responsible for fostering an active worshipping community at the university through the preparation of Sunday Eucharist, weekday liturgies, major liturgical celebrations for the university community and other appropriate forms of Catholic, ecumenical and interfaith worship. Basic to this work is the preparation and continuing formation of students for service in the various liturgical ministries both here at JCU and as active members of the Church after graduation. Additionally, the Assistant Director/Coordinator of Liturgy shares (with the Director) responsibility for the administration of the university chapels, and the coordination of all campus weddings.
Duties and responsibilities
· Prepare, coordinate, and facilitate all Sunday liturgies, Holy Days of Obligation, special University liturgies, as well as ecumenical and interfaith services.
o Train, schedule, and supervise student volunteer Sacristans, Lectors, Eucharistic Ministers, Servers, and hospitality ministers.
o Schedule and coordinate presiders.
o Coordinate music with the Director of Liturgical Music and Musical Arts.
o Prepare general intercessions and announcements.
o When necessary, schedule chapel or alternative location.
o Coordinate readings with presider and homilist.
o When necessary, design program and arrange for printing.
· Sacrament of Reconciliation (Schedule regular weekly confessors, plan communal reconciliation services during the seasons of Advent and Lent).
· Assemble and chair liturgy committee.
· Oversee campus chapels (maintain linens, wine, hosts, liturgical books, vestments and other supplies needed for various campus chapels.)
· Aid in the coordination and planning of marriage preparation and chapel weddings.
· Prepare and coordinate the RCIA and Confirmation program for university students.
· Supervise liturgy interns (work-study students who whose focus is assisting with liturgy).
· Maintain relationship with diocesan office of worship.
· Attend weekly staff and committee meetings.
· Participate as a representative of Campus Ministry for all University events.
· Other duties as assigned by the Director.
· Master’s Degree in liturgical studies, pastoral ministry, or its equivalent.
· Experience in the coordination and direction of Catholic liturgy.
· Ability to respect and communicate with people of diverse theological perspectives, liturgical styles and musical tastes.
· Interest in understanding and supporting John Carroll’s mission to inspire individuals to excel in learning, leadership, and service in the region and in the world.
· Active faith, prayer and worship life in the Catholic tradition.
· Familiarity with the following Computer programs: Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, Excel.
· Familiarity with Ignatian spirituality and Jesuit mission.
· Expertise in Catholic Liturgy and ministry in a higher education context.
To apply for this job please visit jcu.peopleadmin.com.