Website L'Arche Frederick
Be a part of our founding story!
L’Arche Frederick seeks an energetic, compassionate individual to be the founding House Leader in our first home. L’Arche Frederick is a faith-based nonprofit in Maryland – one of over 150 global L’Arche communities in the International Federation of L’Arche – that supports adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities (whom we call Core Members).
The House Leader is responsible for the overall integration of the L’Arche mission in the day-to-day life of the home, while planning and overseeing high quality support for each person with an intellectual disability, known in L’Arche as “core members”.
- As a member of the Leadership Team, the House Leader manages the supervision, support, training, and formation of the house team of assistants and volunteers.
- As a member of the household, the House Leader leads a group of people with and without intellectual disabilities in creating a loving, trusting home life.
- As a member of the community, the House Leader works alongside others in L’Arche Frederick to share and spread the mission of L’Arche, modelling inclusion and hospitality.
What Can You Expect?
The initial months will require diligence, self-motivation and creativity as you collaborate on assembling the team of assistants, establishing policies, developing common routines, nurturing a vibrant home life, and welcoming the core members. With compassion and a spirit of partnership, you will lead the home in building trust & competency around provision of care and mutual relationships between persons with and without disabilities.
This role requires an inclusive mindset, an open heart, dedication to personal growth, and a belief in the gifts and dignity of every person. These attributes will enhance your role as manager, advocate, direct care provider, and housemate.
Join us in growing our community, celebrating our diverse gifts, inspiring a more inclusive world, and building relationships across differences.
Qualifications and Expectations:
- A desire to live and work in an intentional community
- Experience supporting persons with intellectual disabilities
- Two years’ experience in human services or related field
- Commitment to personal and professional growth
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Previous L’Arche or community living experience (strongly preferred)
- Able to live in the home for one year (strongly preferred)
- Previous supervisory experience of diverse teams and demonstrated ability to build a supportive, cohesive team (strongly preferred)
- Sensitivity and respect for diversity in all areas, including age, culture, sexual orientation, faith, gender identity and language
- Bachelor’s degree
- Valid driver’s license and ability work in the U.S.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org