Website L'Arche USA
Sharing life and friendship in community.
Experiencing poverty, prejudice and social isolation, Americans with intellectual and developmental disabilities are among the most vulnerable in our country. Assistants help make the community a place of belonging and acceptance. They have tangible responsibilities like household chores, medication dispensing and personal care assistance. Equally important, however, is their willingness to receive from core members (those with I/DD) to form authentic relationships of mutual support.
• To build a relationship of mutual care and support with persons with disabilities
• To foster a home life of unity, mutual respect and participation by all members
• To provide direct care supports and skill building for core members in
-Personal care needs (clothing, hygiene, etc.)
-Medical care, appointments
-Family and work connections
-Household chores, laundry
-Documentation related to core member care and the running of the house.
• 18 –21 year old minimum, depending on locale of L’Arche community
• Must be proficient to fluent in English
• High School diploma or equivalent GED
• Interest in living in a faith community and exploring your personal spirituality
• Desire to work with individuals with disabilities
• Creativity, flexibility, attention to detail and ability to organize time
• Verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Valid driver’s license required by most communities
• May be required to assist Core Members in attending religious services of their choosing
• Able to lift/transfer individuals (varied lbs) and move wheelchairs (approx. 50 lbs)
• Some Core Members’ physical needs require more intensive physical assistance
• Once fully trained, Assistants will at times be the primary person responsible for the assistance needed for an adult with a developmental disability
• Must complete and pass medical administration test (government) and then be willing to administer medication as instructed
• Must meet state requirements for caring for people with disabilities, including CPR & First Aid certifications
• Able to share time 40 – 55 hours a week
• Welcome is subject to references, criminal record review
Find out more at https://www.larcheusa.org/get-involved/work/assistant/
To apply for this job please visit www.larcheusa.org.