Building a world where opportunity is not limited by disability
Through promoting inclusive health, fitness, and sport, the Metro Programs Coordinator will expand Special Olympics Maryland’s programmatic efforts to traditionally underserved communities in the Baltimore-metro and DC-metro areas. By partnering with anchor institutions including Baltimore City and Prince George’s County Public Schools, Recreation and Parks, and community sports organizations, the AmeriCorps member will ensure high-quality programs to improve the health and fitness outcomes for people with intellectual disabilities throughout Western Maryland.
o Through direct service, provide engaging sports programming for athletes and volunteers in the Baltimore- and DC-metro area.
o Support programmatic efforts of the public school systems of Baltimore City and Prince George’s County in Adapted Physical Education and Motor Activities Training Programs.
o In collaboration with the Education Associate for Adaptive Physical Education (APE) for Baltimore City Public Schools, provide competitive sports opportunities including Bowling, Skating, Track and Field, and Swimming.
o Working with school leadership in Baltimore City Schools, develop and implement plans for an effective school-based competition program, including the multi-day Spring Games and associated time trials.
o Attend school events, practices, and competitions.
o Identify and cultivate relationships with community agencies (Parks & Recreation, Churches, Community Centers, Service Agencies) in the DC Metro Area to expand community programmatic offerings.
o Provide on-site support to state-level community and school competitions engaging Baltimore-metro and DC-metro athletes.
o Attend monthly staff meetings and weekly department team meetings.
o Other duties as assigned by the Baltimore Region Director and Vice President, Local Program Development.
· Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Psychology, Human Services, or Related Field
· Ability to pass Criminal and National Sex Offender Registry background screening.
· Must enroll as a member of AmeriCorps for full-time service.
· Must have ability to work from Baltimore, MD.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse and inclusive organization.
· Demonstrated knowledge in concepts of inclusion, including best-practices and language-use
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication.
· Ability to work independently on a variety of projects.
· Able to provide a high level of customer service.
· Previous experience with Special Olympics or similar programs preferred.
· Extensive experience in volunteer programs required, as either a participant or manager.
· Previous experience working with programs that serve individuals with intellectual disabilities preferred.
· Ability and willingness to work multiple nights/weekends and travel throughout the state of Maryland as needed with own transportation.
· Ability to lift 25 lbs.
· Comfort with PC-based programs and applications.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org