Building a world where opportunity is not limited by disability
This 1-year position is funded with the AmeriCorps Grant through Frostburg State University. Monthly stipend, benefits, and end of service Segal Education Award.
Special Olympics Maryland and Frostburg State University is seeking a motivated individual to serve full time positions serving Western Maryland (Frederick, Washington, Allegany, and Garrett Counties).
AmeriCorps members serve 1700 hours during the contract year and receive:
· A bi-weekly stipend
· Education award to help pay for federal student loans and/or future education expenses
· Federal student loan forbearance during service
· Exemption from paying federal student loan accrued interest
· Health insurance & Child care reimbursement, if eligible
· Members will be enrolled in a fall and spring semester training course at SU resulting in 6 tuition free credits
Through sport, Special Olympics Maryland aims to create a world where opportunity is not limited by disability. Students – with their energy, ambition, intelligence, and creativity – can be not only participants but game changers in our purpose.
Special Olympics Unified Champion Schools (UCS) is a comprehensive, strategic program that is the proven vehicle to promote and facilitate social inclusion through three components:
· Unified sports/activities: A fully inclusive sports or fitness program that combines an approximately equal number of students with and without intellectual disabilities. Examples include such things as: Interscholastic Unified Sports, Unified PE or Unified Intramurals. Special Olympics Unified Sports and Special Olympics Young Athletes.
· Inclusive youth leadership (IYL): Students with and without intellectual disabilities working together to lead and plan advocacy, awareness, and other Special Olympics and related inclusive activities throughout the school year.
· Whole School Engagement (WSE): Awareness and education activities that promote inclusion and reach the majority of the school population
Job Summary – Special Olympics Maryland is seeking a full time AmeriCorps Member to:
Aid and assist Special Olympics Maryland in developing strategic goals and objectives to create and grow inclusive school climates via the UCS components.
· Develop thorough understanding of Special Olympics Maryland’s goals in making every partner school fully inclusive.
· Work with the Senior Director of School Sport Program Development to support and assist with the introduction and implementation of the UCS components.
· Provide support and guidance to school liaisons and student leaders in programming efforts around Inclusive Youth Leadership and Whole School Engagement.
· Serve as an Advisor to Special Olympics Maryland Youth Activation Council.
· Work closely with school students (K-12) and staff, delivering trainings, workshops, and events.
· Ensure accurate reporting of Unified Champion School activity.
· Assist with Unified sports and activities (e.g. local, district, and state-level invitationals/championship).
· Fluent in written and verbal English.
· Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in related field, e.g. Education, Psychology, Human Services.
· Ability to pass and maintain acceptable results for criminal and National Sex Offender Registry background screening and maintain Special Olympics Maryland ‘Class A’ status.
· Must enroll as a member of AmeriCorps for full-time service.
· Must have ability to work from Western Maryland or Baltimore, MD
· Must hold a valid driver’s license and own reliable transportation.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse and inclusive organization
· Demonstrated knowledge in concepts of inclusion, including best-practices and language-use.
· Experience volunteering or participating in Special Olympics programs preferred.
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication.
· Experience working or volunteering in youth programs preferred.
· Comfort with PC-based programs and applications including Microsoft Office Suite.
· Regular access to a telephone and computer with internet access.
· Ability and willingness to work occasional non-traditional workweek, i.e. evenings/weekends, and travel as needed with own transportation.
· Ability to bend, squat, lift and walk while carrying 25lbs.
· Ability to be on one’s feet, standing andor walking, for a long time, e.g. greater than 4 hours, without intermission.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com