Building a world where opportunity is not limited by disability
Working collaboratively with the Vice President, Local Program Development and the Local Programs team, The AmeriCorps Member supports the athletes of Special Olympics Maryland (SOMD) in Garrett, Allegany, Washington, and Frederick Counties. The AmeriCorps member will help provide more sports training and competition opportunities by attending practices, assisting with coaches trainings, staffing athlete recruitment events, and managing volunteers. The AmeriCorps member will also partner with community organizations, schools and individuals to provide volunteer staffing at SOMD’s events and competitions ensuring high-quality programs to improve the health and fitness for people with intellectual disabilities throughout Western Maryland.
o Through direct service, provide engaging sports programming for athletes and volunteers in Western Maryland.
o Increase the capacity of Local Programs in Western Maryland to recruit and retain more athletes by assisting the Vice President for Local Program Development in the growth of Program Management Teams in Garrett, Allegany, Washington, Frederick, and Carroll Counties.
o Attend Local Program events, competitions, practices, and meetings as identified throughout the year.
o Assist with the recruitment and training of volunteer leaders in Western Maryland programs.
o Maintain open lines of communication with and serve as a primary resource for local programs in recruiting and engaging athletes, volunteers, and families through high quality sports training and competition.
o Promote collaboration between Special Olympics Maryland’s school-based and community programs in Western Maryland.
o Identify opportunities for new sports leagues and programs throughout the Western region.
o Support the growth and development of Special Olympics Maryland programs through the successful engagement of volunteers; ensuring SOMD is able to effectively program for an increased number of athletes in high-quality competitions.
o Work with Director of Volunteer Management to assess volunteer needs and identify opportunities for individuals to be involved.
o Assist as a volunteer manager at events and competitions including Fall Sports Festival (Emmitsburg, MD), Cycling Championships (Cascade, MD), Bowling Championships (Frederick, MD), Indoor Bocce (Hagerstown, MD), Winter Games (Clear Springs, MD), and Basketball (Frederick, MD).
o Assist Volunteer Area Management Teams in Frederick, Washington, Garrett, and Allegany Counties to effectively recruit coaches, program administrators, and event volunteers to support athletes.
o Attend Games Management Team meetings as the representative for volunteer services.
o Effectively lead recruitment efforts and provide adequate volunteer coverage for state level competitions, placing special emphasis on corporate and community groups.
o Coordinate volunteer registration and orientation for assigned competitions.
o Work closely with Management Teams, lead staff, and venue leads to ensure a high-quality and meaningful experience for all volunteers and athletes while at competitions.
o Utilize volunteer evaluations to accurately assess the volunteer experience at events and competitions.
o To increase the recruitment of athletes and volunteers, take part in public awareness initiatives throughout Western Maryland.
o Facilitate presentations for volunteer groups and organizations in Western Maryland.
o Represent Special Olympics Maryland and Western Maryland programs at transition fairs, networking events, and other community functions.
o Partner with Western Maryland athletes in Athlete Leadership Program and Global Messengers to prepare presentations for school and community groups.
· Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Psychology, Human Services, or Related Field
· Ability to pass Criminal and National Sex Offender Registry background screening.
· Must enroll as a member of AmeriCorps for full-time service.
· Must have ability to work from Baltimore, MD or Frederick, MD.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse and inclusive organization.
· Demonstrated knowledge in concepts of inclusion, including best-practices and language-use
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication.
· Ability to work independently on a variety of projects.
· Able to provide a high level of customer service.
· Previous experience with Special Olympics or similar programs preferred.
· Extensive experience in volunteer programs required, as either a participant or manager.
· Previous experience working with programs that serve individuals with intellectual disabilities preferred.
· Ability and willingness to work multiple nights/weekends and travel throughout the state of Maryland as needed with own transportation.
· Ability to lift 25 lbs.
· Comfort with PC-based programs and applications.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org