Building a world where opportunity is not limited by disability
Working collaboratively with the Vice President, Local Program Development and the Local Programs team, The AmeriCorps Member supports the athletes of Special Olympics Maryland (SOMD) Kent County, Upper Shore program (Talbot, Caroline, and Queen Anne’s Counties) and Lower Shore Program (Dorchester, Wicomico, Worcester, and Somerset Counties). The AmeriCorps member will help provide more sports training and competition opportunities by attending practices, assisting with coaches trainings, staffing athlete recruitment events, and managing volunteers. The AmeriCorps member will also partner with community organizations, schools and individuals to provide volunteer staffing at SOMD’s events and competitions ensuring high-quality programs to improve the health and fitness for people with intellectual disabilities throughout the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities:
o Through direct service, provide engaging sports programming for athletes and volunteers in the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
o To increase the capacity of Eastern Shore programs to recruit and retain more athletes, assist the Vice President for Local Program Development in the growth of Program Management Teams on the Eastern Shore.
o Attend Local Program events, competitions, practices, and meetings as identified throughout the year.
o Assist with the recruitment and training of Volunteer Leaders in Eastern Shore programs.
o Maintain open lines of communication with and serve as a primary resource for local programs in recruiting and engaging athletes, volunteers, and families through high quality sports training and competition.
o Promote collaboration between Special Olympics Maryland’s school-based and community programs.
o Identify opportunities for new sports leagues and programs throughout the Eastern Shore region.
o Support the growth and development of Special Olympics Maryland programs through the successful engagement of volunteers; ensuring that SOMD is able to effectively program for an increased number of athletes in high-quality competitions.
o Work with Director of Volunteer Management to assess volunteer needs and identify opportunities for individuals to be involved.
o Assist Volunteer Director as a volunteer manager at events and competitions on the Eastern Shore
o Assist Volunteer Area Management Teams to effectively recruit coaches, program administrators, and event volunteers to support athletes.
o Attend Games Management Team meetings as representative for volunteer services.
o Ensure athletes enjoy high quality competition by effectively leading recruitment efforts and providing adequate volunteer coverage for state level competitions, placing special emphasis on corporate and community groups.
o Coordinate Volunteer Registration and Orientation for assigned competitions.
o Work closely with Management Teams, lead staff, and venue leads to ensure a high-quality and meaningful experience for all volunteers and athletes while at competitions.
o Utilize Volunteer Evaluations to accurately assess the volunteer experience at events and competitions.
o To increase the recruitment of athletes and volunteers, take part in public awareness initiatives throughout the Eastern Shore of Maryland:
o Facilitate presentations for volunteer groups and organizations on the Eastern Shore.
o Represent Special Olympics Maryland and Eastern Shore programs at transition fairs, networking events, and other community functions.
o Partner with Eastern Shore athletes in Athlete Leadership Program and Global Messengers to prepare presentations for school and community groups.
· Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Psychology, Human Services, or Related Field
· Ability to pass Criminal and National Sex Offender Registry background screening.
· Must enroll as a member of AmeriCorps for full-time service.
· Must have ability to work from the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse and inclusive organization.
· Demonstrated knowledge in concepts of inclusion, including best-practices and language-use
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication.
· Ability to work independently on a variety of projects.
· Able to provide a high level of customer service.
· Previous experience with Special Olympics or similar programs preferred.
· Extensive experience in volunteer programs required, as either a participant or manager.
· Previous experience working with programs that serve individuals with intellectual disabilities preferred.
· Ability and willingness to work multiple nights/weekends and travel throughout the state of Maryland as needed with own transportation.
· Ability to lift 25 lbs.
· Comfort with PC-based programs and applications.
To apply, please send Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com