St. Joe’s is continuing their immigration effort in 2019 & 2020 with a variety of programs and activities:
* Immigration subcommittee – We created a subcommittee of our Faith Justice Commission to support our immigration programs and activities.
* Casa Latina – We formed a partnership with Casa Latina, a local non-profit that supports low income documented and undocumented hispanic immigrants throughout the City of Seattle. Casa Latina will be presenting a public forum at the parish on Immigrant/Refugee/Asylum stories on 9/12.
* Sister Parish Celebration – This year in October, we celebrate 30-years in relationship with San Bartolme, Arcatao, El Salvador. Padre Miguel, the long time pastor will be joining us and on Oct. 23rd will speak about why people are leaving El Salvador for the US and other destinations. St. Joe’s supports a post secondary scholarship program and a sustainable livelihood program. The sustainable livelihood program provides an alternative to outbound emigration.
* KBI Immersion – St. Joe’s is leading a 10 person delegation to the border from 11/9-14/2019.
* Parish Witness/Action – The parish is planning a non-violent demonstration from our campus to the Federal Building in downtown Seattle. We hope to walk around or surround the Federal Building to call attention to the continued separation of immigrant families and the incarceration of immigrant children. We plan to do this in collaboration with other Catholic parishes and faith communities.